May 28, 2010

God still reigns...

Man o man where to begin with the last few days? Well first off...we went to Mt. Rushmore the other evening. It was absolutely beautiful but it wasn't what I expected (which lately I'm learning more and more about expectationless expectations). It's pretty awesome but honestly I am more in love with the God-made scenery. Our staff (minus Millie and Jordan who aren't here yet) got the opportunity to see what not many people get to see in person...

Honestly after seeing Mt. Rushmore though I was still clearly reminded of how big our God is. He may not have put a rock with four presidents heads in the middle of South Dakota, but he put that mountain there for those heads to be carved into. And HE gave the people who carved Mt. Rushmore the talents and the ability to do that. How awesome is that? Every day is a continuous reminder of how absolutely amazing our God truly is.
After Mt. Rushmore we came back to our dorms (which by the way are pretty nice all things considering, and we get to wake up to a view only God could create). Wednesday we had orientation. We watched a video on how to make it GREAT! Haha. And then we had lunch at the restraunt on the camp ground. The lunch was awesome...very like an Applebees and it was free which makes it way better. We then went and did micro trash clean up on the campground and then we were done!


Yesterday was really fun. We worked 9:00-1:00 cleaning and learning the area that the summershiners work. Our main task was the clean the jumping pillow. That was a job in itself! It took us pretty much the whole time. We got pretty burnt also. Let me make all you east coast people aware that it's NOT COLD here like you thought!! We are at a high elevation (closer to the sun) o and todays forecast...currently at 1:40 PM is...
Yep 82 degrees. And it's hot. Here's just an image of what we did yesterday.
God is definitely teaching. I will not be doing the normal South Dakota Summershine job. Due to lack of staff and myself being over 21 I will be working in the coffee/wine shop. I was really disappointed and it has taken some time for me to really get used to the idea, but I realize God has a plan. I may not be interacting with the kids while I'm working on the clock, but I will later on...and I will interact with their parents who will be taking their kids to the activities we summershiners do. Kids can only remember things for a little bit but I get to meet their parents and tell their parents about what's going on. They will remember a lot more. I'm sure there's other reasons for me working there and if I do not realize those reasons until the end of the summer it will still be okay. God reigns. God is bigger and greater.
This morning I went to my training for the coffee shop and now I am off the rest of the day. We are going to wal-mart tonight and tomorrow starts the weekend activities! And my first day as a coffee barista!

No comments: