December 13, 2009

We matter more than we'll ever realize



Before going any further please watch the above video...it is enough to make you think two different things "Why do I matter to God"--which in the end is a ridiculous question because this video is inspiring enough to make us think "Man...I'm THAT small and God still watches me, still loves me, still CARES"...The God of the Universe Loves US!

We're going through the Crazy Love series in our Sunday School class at church. I read the book about 8 months ago and I love it. It's enough to make a person think about what their purpose is in this world. It is a challenge to those of us who say we Love God, yet do not act on it. We cover up our God with excuses...instead of loving people enough to tell them the truth.
I do not want to get to the end of my life having allowed my own convictions to die before I do.

This morning in church our sermon was on John 15:1-17

Dr. Darville spoke on the metaphor of verses 1-8 and Johns extension of that Metaphor in verses 9-17.
It is the final "I am" statement God makes.
Take a minute and remember that when God says "I am" it is not just a general statement...it is His name "YHWH"

I loved the sermon this morning because Dr. Darville showed us the difference between Israel and Jesus. The Vine is a symbol for Israel, which is replaced by Jesus because Israel produced fruitlessness while Jesus (the TRUE vine) produces GREAT fruit.
The awesome thing that I got from this sermon, talking about the Vine and the branches that I've heard hundreds of times...is that We are a part of this Vine. We are the branches. We are in the covenant with God and WE must bear fruit. We can not just be compliant and have mechanical change in our lives...we MUST listen to our hearts and have Organic change...REAL change...We can not just believe in this God (who created this enormous Universe and doesn't have to love us or watch us but chooses to)...but we must engage in His plan for our lives.
I learned a lot today. I want to be a part of this covenant with God. I want to share life with God like I share life with my friends. I want to know His thoughts and feelings...I want to hurt for what He hurts for and Love who He loves. I want to desire to fulfill His plan in my life, not knowing WHERE He will lead me.
This awe inspiring God does not need me, but He wants me. He wants all of us to share life with Him in a way we never have before.
The God of the universe LOVES us. He desires a relationship with us! He wants us to bear fruit for Him...
One of the things Dr. Darville said in His sermon today that really stuck...was when he was talking about pruning. In John 15 Jesus speaks of God having to prune so that more fruit can be beared...If you ever watch someone who knows what they are doing prune their fruit or plants...it doesn't look like it would feel too good.
Sometimes God prunes us and it hurts. He takes things from us that we might ask "why"...but it's His way of helping us bear more fruit for His kingdom and glory.
Man what an awesome God we serve!

No comments: