September 26, 2008

Surrendering fully

My hands hold safely to my dreams
Clutching tightly not one has fallen
So many years I've shaped each one
Reflecting my heart showing who I am
Now you're asking me to show What I'm holding oh so tightly
Can't open my hands can't let go
Does it matter?
Should I show you?
Can't you let me go?
Surrender, surrender you whisper gently
You say I will be freeI know but can't you see?
My dreams are me. My dreams are me
You say you have a plan for me
And that you want the best for my life
Told me the world had yet to see
What you can do with one
That's committed to Your calling
I know of course what I should do
That I can't hold these dreams forever
If I give them now to You
Will You take them away forever?
Or can I dream again?

This morning I was listening to my iPod and this is the song that really stuck out to me. It's by Barlow Girl, and I think the meaning of it is so strong. How often do we say we're going to give something to God, and then decide not to? We feel like the things that need to be surrendered are what make us who we are. They're our "dreams"...they're a part of us. They make us unique, even if the things we need to surrender are bad for us.
I'm talking to myself here too. It's so much easier said than done. There are things I have said have been surrendered, but really I still hold on to these things for dear life....
Our futures...Different addictions....situations that are out of our control. I remember this summer at the conference I went to in Indiana one of the work shop leaders told us that there is no blue print for our life. That...if we live our lives for the future we are looking to ourselves, but if we live day to day--then we start giving up to God and then He will reveal His great plan to us.
Like I said...so much easier said than done...but it's possible.

No comments: